2017 S-Lab Awards
RECOGNISING EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE BUILDINGS, EQUIPMENT, FACILITIES AND MANAGEMENT
Applications are now closed for the 2017 S-Lab Awards
The S-Lab Awards are recognised around the world as the benchmark for good laboratory design, operation and management. See they flyer (foot of the page) for details of previous winners, drawn from shortlists featuring 14 countries. A key aim of the Awards is to create and publicise examples of good practice and innovation through its short list, e.g. by inviting them to present at S-Lab Conferences. Hence, a relatively small amount of time spent on a Stage 1 application can create considerable publicity for your work even if unsuccessful in winning an Award.
Applicants may be invited to present at the joint S-Lab/UKSPA 2017 two-day Conference taking place from 9-10 May at York Racecourse. The Award winners will be announced at the Awards Dinner on May 9.
2017 S-LAB AWARD CATEGORIES
- STEM Building - recognising new or completely refurbished laboratory-containing buildings in any sector which are safe, successful and sustainable, and which have been commissioned and handed over in the period January 2013 – July 2016.
- Refurbished Laboratories - recognising partial refurbishments of existing buildings for science purposes in any sector which are safe, successful and sustainable, and which have been commissioned and handed over in the period January 2014 – July 2016.
- Laboratory Effectiveness - recognising initiatives to improve laboratory organisation, management, skills, space efficiency, workflows and other areas of operation.
- Laboratory Environmental Improvement - recognising initiatives to minimise the energy and water consumption and / or environmental footprint of laboratories.
- Best New or Improved Product - recognising new or significantly upgraded products or services that offer substantial benefits to laboratory owners and users, e.g. innovative functionality, improved performance and quality, reduced costs, minimised energy and water.
- Making a Difference - recognising an individual or small team that has made a significant contribution within their laboratory or organisation through innovative actions which go beyond normal practice, or the normal expectations of a role.
2017 JOINT S-LAB/UKSPA AWARD CATEGORIES
Reflecting the collaboration between S-Lab and the UK Science Park Association for a joint Conference at York Racecourse on May 9-10 2017, two special categories have been created:
- Innovation-focused building or campus - recognising new/recent projects demonstrating features such as university/industry collaboration, provision of specialist expertise or facilities, practical support for start-up and scale-up, or other aspects for successful knowledge creation, transfer and commercialisation.
- Environmentally sustainable building - recognising designs that result in minimised use of space, energy, water, materials and other resources and/or support other sustainability objectives such as biodiversity; and which demonstrate that these have been achieved in practice.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are sought from all kinds of laboratories, including those in the Government and private sectors, in any country. There will be a two stage entry process:
- Stage 1 involves a very simple form, with a deadline of December 9 2016.
- Stage 2 involves the short-listed entries that have emerged from Stage 1 fleshing out their initial application by January 25 2017.
Forms and further details can be downloaded from the foot of this page.
Please contact email@example.com
For previous winners and shortlisted, please visit this page.